Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Blustery Birthday Projects

Well February is here ~
so therefore birthdays are here as well.
I have many fabulous people in my life who have February birthdays.
My father, littlest brother, mother and oldest son.
Here are a couple sewing projects I completed for some of those birthdays.

Dad got the "camper collection": toss pillow, pillow case, dish towel and lap throw.
I found the fabric at a little shop, uncoordinated ~ but I matched them up.
I liked the colors together and it wasn't too north woodsy, but just the right bit of manly.
I decided since he is kind of hot blooded and he doesn't really camp when it is cold out,
that a large throw without any filling would be good, and so I did the back with a soft flannel.
And I "birthed" it as the quilters say, I say I sewed it fronts facing and turned it inside out before quilting it.
I think he liked it.  And I proud that I designed it, created it, and quilted it by myself.
Little brother Tyler on his 24th birthday got a girly pillow! Forgot to take a close up pic and this pic isn't very clear.  But his toss pillow has a sexy blonde out in the woods with a sweater on.  Very funky retro pin up girlish, I loved the fabric and had to have it.  And it might have made him blush a little with his new blonde girlfriend sitting next to him. Aww, that's what sisters are for :)

This quilt I made for my mom.  She said last year how she loved yellows and oranges ~ they are just so cheery.  So when I took a class for the "no brainer" quilt top, and I found these fabrics I decided to make it for her. It was very simple, and I felt very proud the farther I went with it.  It is a throw around 52" x 52" square.  I pieced the front and the back in spring/summer of 2011 and had it long arm quilted Feb. of 2012, I had enough of the back hanging off that I bound it with the original edging, which made things much simpler. I had already used the scraps to make and quilt the toss pillow to match.  Pretty sure she was tickled with it.

Now as for my almost 21 year old son ~ hmmm, yeah I am not quilting anything for him at the moment.
Maybe in a few years, I think cold card cash is what he needs now.
But I will be keeping my eyes our for the right fabric and the right project that will tickle his fancy.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to everyone who celebrates it this blustery month!!





No comments:

Post a Comment